The Barrel Fillet is often regardad as the pièce de résistance of joints & steaks.
As a result, it is highly prized by chefs around the country. Because the Barrel Fillet is so consistent in its size and proportion it is a perfect option for tasting courses, where consistency is the name of the game when running a Michelin starred restaurant.
The Barrel Fillet comes from the middle of the whole fillet. We age the fillets on the bone nestled next to the sirloin. The fillet is the most underused muscle in the cattle resulting in wonderful tenderness. Our butchers take the whole fillets off the bone and then trim them down to reveal the wonderfully trimmed fillet. The Barrel fillet comes from the centre of the whole fillet and once trimmed they go through a further ageing process off the bone. This process helps intensify the flavour, making our fillets wonderfully tender and flavoursome.
Yorkshire beef is some of the finest in the whole of the UK. Selected from herds across this large historic county. We use both native and continental breeds that enable us to meet the demands of our chefs for both high-fat content beef and leaner options. We also farm our own cattle here at Waterford Farm. Grass-fed, slow grown is the only way we know.
Pack weight to range between 900g-1.1kg
Our Recommended Cooking Instructions:
- Bring your Barrel Fillet to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 200C
- Get a heavy-based pan that is oven proofed smoking hot
- Season the Fillet with plenty of salt and add some beef dripping into the pan
- Sear the Fillet for 1-2 minutes a side till evenly browned
- Then place in an oven for 20-25 minutes – Turn after 12 minutes use a meat probe to have a internal temperature of 55c
- Remove and rest on a rack for 10-20 minutes
- Slice and enjoy
Try next… Enjoy Large prime roasting joints, try our Striploin
Join our community on Instagram! Give us a follow @randjyorkshiresfinest.